TA-48 Brief Description
4.25.1 Site Description
The Radiochemistry Site [Table 4-23 and Figure 4-25 (index map of TA-48)] is an R&D facility established
and constructed between 1955 and 1957. It is located 1.1 mi (1.77 km) from the TA-3
Administration Building on an unnamed access road, just off Pajarito Road and immediately northeast
of TA-55. The entire technical area covers 115.9 acres (46.9 ha), and the main buildings are
located in an 8.59-acre (3.48-ha) area enclosed behind a security fence.
4.25.2 Facilities Description
The facilities at TA-48 support research and development in nuclear and radiochemistry. Measurements
of radioactive substances are taken in hot cells equipped for remote handling of radioactive
materials. Although radiochemical operations are conducted primarily in Buildings 1, 8, 28, 45,
and 107, only Building 1 contains sufficient radioactive materials to be considered hazardous. All
remaining buildings are devoted to administrative and technical activities.